Wednesday, February 29, 2012

From The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer:

When I imagine myself as an old woman at the end of my life and ask myself how I will evaluate my time here, there is only one question that concerns me:  Did I love well?  There are a thousand ways to love other people and the world-with our touch, our words, our silences, our work, our presence.  I want to love well. This is my hunger.  I want to make love to the world by the way I live in it, by the way I am with myself and others every day.  So I seek to increase my ability to be with the truth in each moment, to be with what I know, the sweet and the bitter.  I want to stay aware of the vastness of what I do not know.  This is what brings me to the journey.  I do not want to live my life any other way.

If you have recently lost someone, you may feel as though you will never love again.  That the best of your love has died with your loved one. I think there is an opportunity when someone in our life dies, to ask "Did I love well?" and depending on the response, an opportunity to do it more, but perhaps differently, or to begin.